So you’ve signed up for an information session – now what? One of the only times applicants can make an impression with admissions counselors in these sessions is during the Q&A. It can be challenging to figure out just what you should ask. What will make a good impression? A bad impression? In that light, here are a few tips to help prepare you to ask the right questions to get the information you need and leave the best impression.
- Come prepared beforehand with a list of questions
- Review the website to get a sense for what the school values and highlights
- Pay attention to the backgrounds of student speakers for natural follow-up questions
- Prioritize your questions on what matters most to you
- Ask questions that are easily found on the website or that have been answered during the presentation
- Focus on logistical / operational questions – those can be sent over email
And the most important DO: be genuine.
It’s so easy to focus on everything you need to do to sell yourself to the school but remember that they need to sell themselves to you too. This is your chance to learn if this school is the right place for you to spend the next few years of your life. Take it, find what matters most to you, and see if the school can help shape who you want to be. Good luck, and we hope you find the best fit for you!